||In 1928, Fairchild
Aircraft introduced the 6-370, a six-cylinder, in-line,
air-cooled engine. Through the 1930s, this engine used larger
cylinders to increase displacement through 390, 410 and finally 441
These engines acquired the name Ranger in 1930 and
the Ranger Engine Division was formed in 1936.
At the end of World War II, the U.S. government
disposed of their surplus Ranger engines at such low prices that
Ranger was put out of business.