|1 Wright design
built under license
2 earliest model number of this
||In the 1920s,
Continental Motors made engines for other manufacturers' cars
and trucks. The company's first production aircraft engine was
a radial that flew in 1929.
In 1931, Continental introduced the engine that
defined the company, the A40 four-cylinder, horizontally-opposed
Continental was acquired by Teledyne in 1969 to
form Teledyne Continental Motors. In addition to
horizontally-opposed piston engines, TCM also produces small gas
turbine engines for RPVs, missiles and small aircraft.