losing the J33 and J35 to rival Allison, GE decided to design a J35
replacement. Using the same frame size as the J35, the J47
used a new compressor and turbine. First flight tested in
1948, the J47 was also the first axial-flow engine in the United
States to be approved for commercial use.
By the time production ended in 1956 36,500 had
been built requiring production at Studebaker and Packard.