1934, Curtiss decided to design a new monoplane fighter with
retractable landing gear and an enclosed cockpit. The
resulting Model 75 first flew in 1935. A U.S. Army
design competition with Seversky resulted in the USAAC ordering the
Seversky design into production as the P-35 and a few Model 75s as
test aircraft designated as the P-36.
The P-36 was ordered into production in
1937. Their performance was not up to the standard set by the Messerschmitt
Bf109 and Supermarine Spitfire.
The Model 75 was sold to France, Great Britain and China.
The P-36 was further developed to be powered by an
Allison V-1710 and re-designated the P-40 Warhawk.
Note: The U.S. Army Air Corps did not
adopt official nicknames for its aircraft until early in World War
II. The name Hawk was a name used by Curtiss for all its